The JouleBug app has a lot of special badges for big holidays and celebrations, like Thanksgiving, Halloween, and Earth Day. We don’t have one for Valentine’s Day (yet), so we’ll have to use the blog instead.
In honor of Valentine’s Day, we present:
JOULEBUG’S TIPS FOR SUSTAINABLE ROMANCE
- Switch off some of the lights in your house. Bask in the glow of your sweetheart’s good-looking-ness. (Maybe light some candles. We don’t want anyone breaking a toe on the corner of the coffee table.)
- While you’re at it, turn down the heat and snuggle up under a blanket.
- Cook a special meal for the special person in your life, using fresh, locally-grown produce. If you’re in a state where the growing season shuts down for the winter, you’ll want to pick recipes that involve storage crops like root vegetables. We’ll let you think about your options and write your own double-entendres. This is a family blog.
- If cooking isn’t your thing, take a romantic stroll (or bike ride) to your favorite dinner spot — like a restaurant that works with sustainable producers and suppliers. Getting out of the car is the only way to really feel the romance in the air.
- Make a lovely gift out of re-used (or, if we must use this word, “up-cycled”) materials. Remember: one person’s trash is another person’s fashion-forward headwear statement/brainwave protection device!
When you put these sure-fire romance tips into action, don’t forget to buzz them in the app. Get points from your sweetie and points from JouleBug.
If you have other ways of celebrating Valentine’s Day while also reducing your footprint on the planet, share them in the comments.
Everybody have a good, green Valentine’s Day. Or, as single people refer to it, “Thursday.”